Here are five simple ways to un-package your life, reduce waste and help the environment:
- Bring your own shopping bags to the supermarket
By taking your own bags, you won’t need to buy plastic bags at the checkout. Put fruit and vegetables straight into your shopping bags to save on plastic.
- Take your own food containers and utensils to work and school
This will help reduce usage of single-use utensils and plastic packaging.
- Bring a re-usable water bottle
You’ll save money by not buying bottled water, plus reduce use of single-use plastics.
- Bring a re-usable cup for takeaway coffee
Many cafés are happy to fill re-usable coffee cups, with some even offering a discount. It’s a great way to get your coffee, while contributing to zero waste.
- Say no to single-use plastic straws
Single-use plastic straws take up to 200 years to decompose. If you feel you really need a straw for your next milkshake, ask for a paper straw instead.
Feel like more of a challenge, try going plastic free this July.