If you're a parent or carer, you can help keep children safe around our streets and schools by following these simple tips:
- Allow enough time to take your child to the school gate safely without rushing.
- Always observe parking signs and speed limits in and around school zones. They are designed to keep children safe.
- Talk about signs and traffic lights with your child. Identify and discuss places where it is safe to get in and out of the car.
- Teach your child how to cross the road using the ‘stop, look and listen’ process – stop at the kerb, look and listen for traffic and then decide whether it is safe to cross.
- Park a few streets away and walk your child to school. This is also good exercise and helps teach your child road safety rules.
Council officers patrol school parking in the morning and afternoon during school terms. They patrol parking only.
To report dangerous driving, please contact SA Police.