Development approval is required when a fence matches any of the following criteria:
- The fence is to be located within the Golden Grove East Policy Area 14, Golden Grove Residential Policy Area 15 or the Golden Grove South Policy Area 16
- A fence that is intended as a safety fence for a swimming pool which is approved for construction or requires approval for construction, on or after 1 July 1993
- The fence is greater than 2.1m in height
- The fence is of masonry construction and any part (including piers) exceeds 1m in height (measured from the lower of the two finished ground levels)
- The fence is located within, or associated with, a local or State heritage place
- The fence is to be located within the hills face zone, the township zone, or an area identified within Council’s Development Plan as being subject to flooding or inundation
- When the fence is attached to the top of a retaining wall, the combined height of the fence/retaining wall is greater than 2.1m in height
- Any part of the fence is greater than 1m in height and within 6m of the intersection of two boundaries of land where those boundaries face a road, other than where a 4m x 4m corner cut-off to the allotment boundary has already been provided
- A brush fence that will be closer than 3m to any external wall of an existing or a proposed dwelling or other form of accommodation. This limitation does not affect repair to an existing brush fence that does not enlarge or extend the brush fence.
Development approval is required when a retaining wall matches the following criteria:
- The retaining wall is located within a State heritage place
- The retaining wall is to be located within an area identified within Council’s Development Plan as being subject to flooding or inundation
- The retaining will retain a difference in ground levels greater than 1m.
Fences adjoining Council owned property
Refer to the Boundary Fence Management Policy(PDF,99KB) for construction, repair and replacement of privately owned boundary fencing when it adjoins Council owned property.