City of Tea Tree Gully logo - Homepage link Search
and Tools

Development approval is required to operate a business if any of the following applies:

  •  The home based business will adversely affect the amenity of the local area - eg issues caused by noise levels, excessive car parking
  • The home base business will involve assistance by more than one person who is not a resident of the home
  • The home base business will take up (temporarily or permanently) a floor area exceeding 30m²
  • The home base business will place a demand or load on public utility services greater than which is usually imposed by other local users of the services
  • The home base business will display goods in a window or around the house
  • The home base business will require the use of a vehicle exceeding three tonne in weight. 

Please note that if you intend to establish a business that involves preparation, transportation or storage of food, hairdressing, beauty or skin penetration, you should seek advice from Council’s Environmental Health team on 8397 7444 to ascertain whether your business will be able to satisfy health requirements. Please access the Public health page for more information.


Back to top