City of Tea Tree Gully logo - Homepage link Search
and Tools

Development approval is required to keep a non-domestic animal when the keeping of the animal is not reasonably incidental to any particular use of the land and/or the dwelling.

For example, the keeping of a pig or sheep on a residential property is not considered to be appropriate and would therefore require development approval from Council.

 “Non-domestic” animals include, but are not limited to horses, sheep, cattle, pigs, goats, donkeys and wild animals.

 Public notification

As Council’s Development Plan and the Development Regulations, 2008, do not specifically assign the keeping of non-domestic animals to a category for public notification purposes, such applications are generally processed as Category 3 developments. This is primarily due to the impacts on neighbouring property owners that may arise from an such activity, such as noise and odour emissions.

Back to top