Development approval is required for the construction of a pergola/verandah when the structure matches any of the following:
- The pergola/verandah has a solid roof
- Any freestanding side of the pergola/verandah will be closed entirely
- Any part of the pergola/verandah will be higher than 4m above the ground
- Any part of the pergola/verandah will be located in front of the main building line of the building to which it is ancillary to that faces the primary street
- The pergola/verandah will be located within a state or local heritage place.