Cats, roosters and other animals


You cat should be registered in DACO using its mandatory microchip number.  This is free - Council does not charge a cat registration fee.  Your cat's microchip number should be provided to you by your vet, microchip implanter, shelter or breeder.  If you don't have a record of the microchip number contact where you bought or adopted it. 

Mandatory microchipping and desexing

All cats must be microchipped by 12 weeks (3 months) of age.  This applies to all cats unless exempted by a vet. All cats born after 1 July 2018 must be desexed by a registered veterinary surgeon before it is 6 months of age; or within 28 days after an owner takes possession of a kitten.  

We strongly encourage responsible cat ownership and cat owners should ensure their cat/s do not stray onto other people's properties as this may be considered a nuisance and complaints may be lodged with Council.

Cat owners who have recorded their cat's microchip number in Dogs and Cats Online will receive a notice each July to remind them to log in and check their details are up-to-date.

To update cat details go to Dogs and Cats Online and 

  • Select Register
  • Select Renew registration
  • Enter the renewal code and surname
  • Check the personal details are correct
  • Check the cat details are correct
  • Add any new cats and/or dogs

Animal cage hire

Council loans cages suitable for catching cats free of charge for a 14 day period.

Cages can be collected from a designated Council facility during business hours at a pre-arranged time.  The cage is to be returned to Council in a clean and undamaged condition.  A fee for cleaning or repair will be issued to the borrower if the cage is not returned in the same condition as it was loaned.  Stolen cages will also incur a fee.

You will be required to notify adjacent neighbours that they have borrowed a cage with the intention of catching stray cats in the neighbourhood.  To add your name to our waiting list please complete this form. Waiting time for a cat cage can be up to 2 months.

You need a permit to trap or catch and release possums on your property.  A copy of the permit must be provided to Council before the cage is collected. Application for a Trap and Release Protected Animal Permit.(PDF, 355KB) The possum guidelines will help guide your trapping and releasing activities.

Birds and poultry

Hens (includes chickens, ducks, geese, pheasants and turkeys of either sex over the age of four weeks) can be kept in residential properties.

Birds such as roosters, peacocks, galahs, sulphur-crested cockatoos, ducks and corellas are not recommended for keeping in or adjacent to residential areas. However, subject to adhering to the Local Nuisance and Litter Control Act, specifically in relation to noise created by animals, such animals are permitted.

Animal complaints

For ongoing animal complaints, complete the Animal or bird nuisance form(PDF, 86KB) detailing the behaviour that is causing the nuisance and return to Council. Without this information we are unable to investigate the matter.

Report a dead animal in a public place using the My.teatreegully website