City of Tea Tree Gully logo - Homepage link Search
and Tools

Animal complaints

For ongoing animal complaints, complete the Animal or bird nuisance form(PDF,86KB) detailing the behaviour that is causing the nuisance and return to Council. Without this information we are unable to investigate the matter.

Report a dead animal in a public place using the My.teatreegully website


As at 1 July 2018 all cats, from 3 months of age and older, must be microchipped. Microchip your pet for $10

All cats born after 1 July 2018 must be desexed by six months of age or within 28 days of acquiring the cat.

From 1 July 2018 all cat microchip details must be recorded in Dogs and Cats Online 
Owners can also update their address and phone numbers or advise if their cat becomes lost or deceased - no fees apply.

Microchipping is the most effective form of permanent identification for cats. Cat owners should ensure their cat/s do not stray onto other people's properties as this may be considered a nuisance and complaints may be lodged with Council.

We strongly encourage responsible cat ownership, even though cats do not currently have to be registered with Council.

Cat cage hire

Update: 2 April 2020: The hire of cat cages has been postponed until further notice due to federal government advice on COVID-19. Council’s response to COVID-19 and other affected services, programs and events.

Council hires cat cages free of charge for a 14 day period. A $35 refundable deposit is required.

Residents are asked to sign a hire agreement which includes notifying adjacent neighbours that they have hired a cage with the intention of catching stray cats in the neighbourhood. Waiting time for a cat cage is usually between 1-2 months.

Our cat cages are not recommended for capturing protected native fauna. Please contact Dept of Environment and Water for information.

Birds and poultry

Hens (includes chickens, ducks, geese, pheasants and turkeys of either sex over the age of four weeks) can be kept in residential properties.

Birds such as roosters, peacocks, galahs, sulfur-cresent cockatoos, ducks and corellas are not recommended for keeping in or adjacent to residential areas.

Back to top