Why we’re on a mission to plant more trees
An estimated one million trees grow on City of Tea Tree Gully land such as parks, reserves and verges.
Here's why we're still on a mission to plant even more.
- Trees reduce the impact of climate change by helping make our streets more liveable in hot weather. Tree cooling reduces heat-related deaths, particularly with vulnerable people.
- Trees improve air quality and produce oxygen to breathe. A mature tree can absorb up to 150 kg of carbon dioxide per year while filtering other pollution, such as carbon monoxide.
- Trees reduce flood risk by filtering rainfall and releasing it slowly into waterways.
- Trees benefit wildlife by providing homes, food and protection for wildlife.
- Trees are good for real estate as mature street trees can help to increase property values and attract business investment.
- Trees save you money because their cooling effect can reduce energy and home air conditioning costs.
- Trees improve your wellbeing as being around trees is good for your mental health and can even help to increase our immunity.
How you can help
Subscribe to our e-newsletter for more local news