City of Tea Tree Gully logo - Homepage link Search
and Tools

Knowing what items go in which bin is the first step towards reducing the amount of waste being sent to landfill each year.

If you do not know which bin to put your waste in, visit the Which Bin website or download our free waste and recycling guide(PDF,5MB) It’s full of information and handy hints that will help you reuse, recycle and dispose of everyday products and household items in a safe and responsible way.

Three bin system

The City of Tea Tree Gully provides every household with a red lid general waste bin and a yellow lid recycling bin.

Residents are required to purchase their own green organics bin. Purchase a 240 litre green bin from larger retail hardware stores.

Red-lid general waste bin

Yellow-lid recycling bin

Green organics bin


Red-lid general waste bin - supplied by Council

Your red-lid general waste bin is collected weekly. The following items can be put in this bin:

  • General household waste
  • Disposable nappies
  • Ceramic, china and pottery
  • Styrofoam and polystyrene
  • Overproof glass
  • Drinking glasses
  • Light bulbs and mirrors
  • Clothing that cannot be donated or reused
  • Disposable and single use coffee cups
Yellow-lid recycling bin - supplied by Council

Your yellow-lid recycling bin is collected fortnightly on the alternate week to your green organics bin. The following items can be put in this bin:

  • Paper, magazines, newspaper and junk mail 
  • All types of cardboard, including egg cartons, greeting cards and clean pizza boxes
  • Rigid plastic bottles and containers - rinsed and lids off
  • Paperboard juice and milk cartons - rinsed and flattened
  • Glass bottles and jars - rinsed and lids off
  • Steel and aluminium cans, foil and trays
  • Empty aerosol cans
  • Metal pots and pans
  • Plastic toys - batteries removed
  • Plastic and metal lids contained within a larger container made from the same material
Green organics bin - not supplied by Council

Your green organics bin is collected fortnightly on the alternate week to your yellow-lid recycling bin. The following items can be put in this bin:

  • All food scraps including fruit, vegetables, meat, seafood and egg shells
  • Tea bags and coffee grounds
  • Tissues, paper towel and serviettes
  • Shredded paper and cardboard
  • Pizza boxes with food stuck on
  • Nail clippings and hair
  • Pet waste - loose or wrapped in newspaper
  • Garden waste such as lawn clippings, small branches, leaves, weeds and flowers

Request an additional bin

Households can request additional bins and collections to assist with managing their waste and recycling. Green organic waste bins must be purchased by residents, but additional collections may be requested. Use the online form to request an additional bin or collection service of a red, yellow or green bin.

While a fee is payable for an additional bin and collection, there may be instances where no charge is applied. This fee includes the one-off cost of the bin hire as well as a yearly collection fee.

Report a stolen or damaged bin

Report a damaged red, yellow or green bin online or contact Solo Resource Recovery on 8159 5090

Report a stolen red or yellow bin online or contact Solo Resource Recovery on 8159 5090

Stolen green organic bins need to be replaced by owners as these bins are not supplied by Council. 

Report a public litter bin that needs emptying

Report a bin on Council property that needs emptying online or call us on 8397 7444

Back to top